With the way social media and technology continues to grow at an exponential rate, it’s almost impossible to ignore the usefulness of blogging. Getting users to visit your webpage can be quite a struggle and many businesses are constantly looking for solutions on how to improve website traffic. Creating a blogging platform can be the answer, as it’s become a useful tool when it comes to marketing. But first, we have to understand why this strategy is valuable for business and search engine optimization.
How Does Writing Blogs Relate to SEO?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a crucial component of digital marketing. One of the main reasons companies optimize their websites is to improve their search engine rankings. These rankings are the position at which a particular website appears in the results of a search engine query. For example, if I Google “places to vacation in Florida”, TripAdvisor is the first website to come up for this search, so it would earn a ranking of “1”. The next website would have a rank of 2, and so on. This plays a huge role in business because when people look for answers, they turn to Google, Bing, or other search engines. They serve millions of people per day, finding information or solutions for whichever topics they may be researching. So, when it comes to optimizing blog posts, the goal is to make your website the most visible to people who are using keywords associated with your product or service.
The main focus when writing should be keeping the reader interested while also providing useful information. When people relate to an article and find answers to their questions, it keeps them on your page. Creating this connection between the reader and the article can make them more inclined to like it, share it, tweet about it, and doing so will increase your rankings on search engines.
Why Keywords are Important for Your Blogs
It’s important to center your blog around certain keywords relating to your article. Once you’ve determined which keywords are most relevant to your post, place them in sections of the blog that will have the most impact when people are searching for a specific topic.
Keywords are most useful in:
- The title of your blog
- Introductory paragraph
That being said, make sure you’re using them organically. Do not pepper your blogs with them in a way that sounds forced. This can get you penalized by Google and can also annoy the reader.
How to Keep the Reader Engaged
As a writer, you want to keep the reader engaged while staying informative about your topic. Studies show that nearly 4 out of every 5 people don’t read past the headline of blog posts, so it’s essential to put some effort to keep them on your page.
1. Come up with a strong headline to let the reader know exactly what to expect for the rest of the article. The goal is to pique your target audience’s interest to click on the blog title.
2. Start with a killer first paragraph. This will keep them reading. A good way to get readers hooked is to write a great opening sentence by promising a solution or asking a relatable question (e.g. “Raise your hands if you’d love to generate more income,” or “Are you looking for ways to decrease your energy costs?”) In the age of social media and instant gratification, humans have the attention span of a goldfish, so making sure they’re hooked at the beginning of your article is key!
3. Stick to the point. Once you dive into the body of your blog, you want to keep things short and concise. If you tend to overuse words and create run-on sentences, you will lose their interest.
4. Use a conversational tone and think as if you were writing for an eighth grader. You’re not drafting a Ph.D. dissertation. You’re just trying to connect with the reader on a more personal level.
5. Make it scannable. Do you like to read large blocks of text? Neither do your readers. Make your blog as easy to scan as possible. This means including bulleted or numbered lists, or using subheadings to break down the subjects into easy to digest morsels of information.
Use Your Platform to Connect With Others
Having a blogging platform is a very simple way to connect with your target market. When done the right way, it can help expand your network, drive traffic to your website, and improve search engine rankings.
If you’re thinking about writing blogs, take some of these tips into consideration and earn some exposure for your business!